A little late, but here were my votes for the Best of Summer 2013 in several different categories for the Crunchyroll voting.
1. Attack on Titan Most immersive and intense plot of the season. Say what you want about pacing, but the actual story itself is inventive and told in a way that keeps you wondering How? Why? That’s good enough for me.
2. The Eccentric Family Delicate, wonderful storytelling throughout, backed by a great POV & superb writing.
3. A Certain Scientific Railgun S Highlighted by the incredible Sisters Arc, Railgun was in the lead until it ended. Although Silent Party wasn’t bad, it just couldn’t keep up with the rest of the show.
1. Free! Spectacular animation from sexy hair to sexy toes. Everything in the water was beautiful.
2. Sunday Without God Loved, loved, loved the ethereal color pallete they chose.
3. Gatchaman Crowds Not as amazing all the way through, but it’s delightfully colorful and has moments of brilliance.
1. “How May I Help You?” by Ai Kayano, Mai Nakahara & Aki Toyosaki from Servant x Service Catchy, fun and the OP animation was incredible.
2. “Crowds” by White Ash from Gatchaman Crowds Loved this song from the first episode. More awesome animation, as well.
3. “Eternal Reality” by fripSide from A Certain Scientific Railgun S I just really love fripSide. Every single Railgun OP is excellent.
1. “Hajikero! Shikybu!” by Yui Makino, et al. from Stella Women’s Academy High School Division Class C3 Likeable, with a really cool melody in the middle section of the song.
2. “Grow Slowly” by Yuka Iguchi from A Certain Scientific Railgun S Overlooked song from Railgun S. Really a pretty beautiful piece of music.
3. “Your Voice” by Rhodanthe* from Kiniro Mosaic Loved the swing/jazz influences in this one.
1. Servant x Service I had a lot of laughs out SxS this seasons, from the bunny manager, to Chihaya, to Lucy’s name.
2. Kiniro Mosaic A real champion in the mot production department. Hilarious moments & cute girls every episode.
1. Attack on Titan Are you kidding me? Did you watch episode 21? Have you seen the 3D gear fights? Incredible action.
2. A Certain Scientific Railgun S Railgun always straddles the line between action and something else, but then you have the Accelerator and Meltdowner fights.
1. The Eccentric Family Ended perfectly. Wonderfully written, presented and full of entertainment. Seeing the family together at the end was worth everything.
2. Silver Spoon It was a toss-up, but Silver Spoon is still incomplete & couldn’t compete with the artistry of TEF.
1. Yasaburo Shimogamo from The Eccentric Family No guy was more fun to watch this season that Yasaburo. The perfect narrator for this anime.
2. Keima Katsuragi from The World God Only Knows On his game once again, but showed some different levels of emotion. It was wonderful to see him be less than perfect this season.
3. Yuugo Hachiken from Silver Spoon Best character development arc of anything this season. And hilarious facial expressions.
1. Megumi Chihaya from Servant x Service Incomparably funny, perfectly timed lines. And cute on occasion.
2. Hajime Ichinose from Gatchaman Crowds A lot smarter than she seems. And has a beautiful worldview.
3. Misaka Mikoto from A Certain Scientific Railgun S Because leaving Misaka off this list just seems wrong.
1. The Eccentric Family The meandering, artistic take on a family’s struggles together captured my heart from start to finish. Heck, I hated the OP at first and wound up loving it. Loved it.
2. A Certain Scientific Railgun S Again, the Sisters Arc was the highlight of this show. But even in Silent Party, Railgun still tackles some meaningful questions. It’s impossible not to love it. Misaka showed legitimate character growth. Quality production all the way through.
3. Silver Spoon Held up against extremely high expectations all season long. Enjoyable, thoughtful and fun to watch. I’ll be looking forward to the second cour come winter.