A repost from another blog:
“Tonight, I decided to watch Cowboy Bebop, because it is almost universally acclaimed as the best anime ever made. What follows are my thoughts as I watch.
- I really like the color symmetry between rose turning red and the blood in the flashbacks.
- Opening credits: Music was not what I was expecting.
- Beginning: this reminds me a lot of Firefly, even though I only watched a few episodes of Joss Wheldon’s beloved show.
- Trying very hard not to be distracted by the animation quality. After watching stuff like SAO and Attack on Titan, your expectations of the animation level really change.
- The stereotypical bartender…and someone said Baka! Uh oh, people with guns going after a pregnant lady. Oh, noes! Not the kitty!
- Hm, not really sure what this “red-eye” stuff is.
- Man, the conglomeration of different things is just blowing my mind right now. An Indian shaman, someone named Asimov, eye drop that help you kill people, spaceships, bounties…oh, yeah, I bet the withdrawal from those eye-drops is killer. And the lady speaks Spanish…
- I think he just stole the eye drops while being choked. Champion work, dude.
- Trying to remember what these funky guitar riffs in between scenes remind me of. FLCL, maybe?
- Haha the surprised face cutscenes. Oh, she doesn’t have a baby…just dangerous stuff. Which could be babies, I guess.
- Whoa…it’s all fun and games until you give up on life. What an ending. Maybe too unannounced and random-seeming for me.
- FLOATING CIGARETTES!
And, that’s a wrap.
Basically, I can’t tell if this show is a delicately nuanced masterpiece, or if it is just masquerading as being deep. If it was only intended as character introduction for the main character, I’m not much of a fan of the way they did it. Tough to say really anything after one episode, but I wouldn’t say I was hooked the way I was after the first episode of Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood or Angel Beats!